What’s the one benefit to living in Ireland, in December when it’s cold and rainy outside? You’ve got the perfect excuse to indulge in a delicious cup of hot chocolate, snuggle up under a blanket in front of a toasty fire and sip away your problems, one warm cuddly gulp at a time.
Here are some of our favourite hot drink cups to give you an idea of what we’re talking about.
And as much as we would all like the above scene to be a regular occurrence, unfortunately we live in the real world, full of responsibilities, and for some reason everyone always seems to be rushing around… So in the spirit of all things Christmas and keeping in mind everyone’s busy schedules, a few of us here in Hugh Jordan have rustled up our top 3 quick hot chocolate recipes.
Don’t worry, when it comes to warm chocolatey goodness, we don't mess around.
- A team favourite, the two ingredient hot chocolate
2 tbsp Nutella
1 cup of milk (any kind)
- Heat milk in a saucepan over medium to high heat until steaming, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the Nutella, and whisk until dissolved.
- Serve immediately in a festive fancy mug for optimum Christmas spirit.
- This one will make you want to shout ‘oooh baby its cold outside’
4 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup good quality cocoa
1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan.
- Cook and stir over medium low heat until the marshmallows are melted, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour into your carefully chosen Christmas mug.
- And finally, the one that takes the Christmas Santy Hat, the token cinnamon hot chocolate.
2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. finely chopped milk chocolate or milk chocolate chips
Pinch of salt
Pinch of ground cinnamon
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
1 cup whole milk
- In your merry mug add the cocoa powder, sugar, chocolate, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a small pot, add the milk and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Remove and transfer the milk to the mug; stir until the ingredients are mixed, about 1 minute.
Hugh Jordan top tip* For all those busy Christmas Elves out there, running around in preparation for the big day - Add a pinch of espresso powder for an extra coffee-ish taste, and an extra pep in your step!
If you are in need of some Christmas tabletop, dining or drinkware ideas, head into our shop in Dublin City Centre for some inspiration; click here for the location and directions.