A hot summer’s day calls for a healthy and refreshing salad that is bursting with fresh seasonal ingredients. Whether it’s for your lunchbox or you’re hosting a party or barbeque, you can never go wrong with a salad. They’re perfect as a starter, side or as the main meal. We’ve put together a list of our three favourite salads for you to try this summer.
A Pomegranate chicken salad is a refreshing and filling salad that is perfect for summer. The pomegranate gives this salad a nice kick and can be modified with whatever spices you like!
- 2 – 3 Chicken breasts
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons Greek Plain Yogurt
- 300g Pomegranate Seeds
- Spinach (as much as you like)
- 2 tbsp. Chives
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Optional: Cayenne pepper
- Grill the chicken and while the chicken is grilling combine the lemon juice, yogurt and other desired spices in a bowl. Adjust the seasonings to your own desired taste.
- Once the chicken is cooked and cooled, dice it.
- Add the spinach, pomegranate, chicken and chives to a salad bowl. Pour some of the dressing into the bowl and toss to mix with the salad. Use the rest of the dressing to pour on top as desired.
The chicken burrito bowl is a tasty “salad” recipe that combines many great flavours and textures and can be easily modified to suit your tastes. Replace the chicken with beef or remove the chicken entirely for a vegetarian meal.
For the salad:
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- Brown or white rice
- Pinto beans
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Jalapeño (adjust to your own taste)
- Chopped red chillies (adjust to your own taste)
- Juice of 1 lime
For the Chicken
- 2 chicken breasts
- 0.5 chopped red onion
- 1tsp chilli powder
- 0.5 tsp paprika
- 0.5 tsp cumin
- 1 garlic clove
- Sour Cream
- Cook the rice in a pot or rice cooker while the chicken is cooking.
- Add olive oil to the pan and cook the chicken and onion together on a medium heat. While the chicken and onion are cooking add the chilli powder, paprika, cumin and garlic. Cook thoroughly until there is no pink left. Once cooked, take off the heat and leave to cool.
- Add the lettuce and pinto beans to a salad bowl. Chop the tomato, chilli, jalapeño and peppers and add them to the bowl with the lettuce and beans.
- Add the chicken and onion to the bowl to the bowl and toss with a salad spoon.
- Top with cheese, Guacamole, sour cream and salsa.
A couscous salad is an excellent summer lunch recipe and it doesn’t take too long to prepare. Add chicken to this bowl to make an excellent meal. It also goes great with a summer barbeque!
- 100 - 200g couscous
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 red pepper
- ½ cucumber
- 2 spring onions, diced
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tsp parsley
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper to season
- Put the couscous into a large bowl with the vegetable stock, cover and leave to soak for 10 minutes, until the stock has been absorbed.
- Meanwhile, dice the onions, tomato, cucumber and pepper and add to a large bowl.
- Add the olive oil, lemon juice to the bowl and mix together.
- Once the couscous is ready, add the vegetable to it, mix together, add the chopped parsley and season with salt and pepper.
Visit Us at Taste of Dublin and Enjoy 10% Off Online!