A heatwave calls for a cooldown and what better way to cool down than with a tasty ice cream? Ice cream is the ideal sweet treat for this glorious weather we’re having and there are endless variations and flavours to be had leaving plenty of room to find your favourite flavour. In this blog, learn how to make your own ice cream in three refreshing flavours: Chocolate, Oreo and Mint.
Chocolate Ice Cream is a great flavour of ice cream that almost everyone will love, including kids. This ice cream is rich and dark and is perfect for the kids. Dollop this ice cream on the side of a brownie to make a great dessert. Add it to a dessert glass and make this treat really stand out!
- 110g High quality dark chocolate
- 50g High quality milk chocolate
- 300ml Milk (Full Fat preferably)
- 300ml Whipping cream
- 85g granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Melt the chocolate in a large glass or heatproof metal bowl. Place the bowl over a large skillet of boiled water and leave to melt.
- Place the milk, sugar, cream and cocoa powder in a saucepan and simmer, whisking until smooth. Remove from heat after about 1 – 2 minutes of simmering.
- Add the milk, sugar, cream and cocoa powder into the melted chocolate bit by bit and whisk until the mixtures are combined. Repeat until the two mixtures are fully combined.
- Leave the mixture to cool, or place in fridge to cool for up to 20 minutes.
- Once cooled, add the mixture to your ice cream maker and churn until a thick consistency is achieved. The time will depend on your ice cream maker.
- Freeze the ice cream until hardened, about 3-5 hours.
Vanilla Oreo Ice Cream is another great flavoured ice cream that is easy to make. This ice cream is full of flavour and the Oreo adds a nice texture to the ice cream. It can also be made with chocolate ice cream for extra flavour, although that might be too rich for some! This ice cream is a pure indulgent treat.
- 230ml full fat milk
- 450ml double cream
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pack Oreos, chopped
- 85g Sugar
- Add the sugar and milk to a mixing bowl and whisk until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Add the double cream and vanilla to the milk and sugar and stir until fully combined.
- Chop the Oreos and add them to the mixture, stirring until the Oreos are even throughout the mixture.
- Add the mixture to the bowl from your ice cream maker and churn for up to 35 minutes until a thick consistency is achieved.
- Once the mixture is churned, add to container and freeze for about two to three hours.
Mint ice cream is certainly not a flavour that everyone is partial to but it is a refreshing flavour nonetheless. This ice cream is soft and has a great texture. Add some chocolate chips to get even more from this ice cream. This is certainly a great flavour for a hot summer’s day. This recipe requires a bit of preparation and the mint can be adjusted to suit your taste buds.
- 300ml full fat milk
- 250-300ml double cream
- 85g caster sugar
- 5 – 10 stems of mint (can be substituted for peppermint extract)
- 3 Medium egg yolks
- Optional: Couple of drops of green food colouring
- Optional: Dark chocolate chips
- Boil milk in a saucepan. Once boiled add the mint and then remove from heat. Allow the flavour of the mint to mix with the milk for around 40 minutes to an hour.
- Strain the leaves from the bowl after it has combined. Mix together the sugar and egg yolks and then add to the mint/milk mixture. Return the mixture to the heat and stir until a thick consistency is achieved.
- Whip the cream and add it to the mixture (the food colouring and chocolate chips can be added in this step).
- Churn the ice cream according to the ice cream maker’s instruction and then freeze for up to two hours.
To shope everything you need for making the perfect scoop of ice cream, head to www.hughjordan.com or alternatively, shop instore at at 1 Chancery Court, Bride Street, Dublin 8. Need directions? Check the map here!