Who doesn’t love a good Spice Bag? This dish is so tasty that it has become one of our national favourites and why wouldn’t it? Battered chicken with chips in a bag with some spices is just pure heaven. But nobody likes the guilty feeling after one, with an estimated calorie count of 1200 per Spice Bag, it’s no wonder we’re left feeling guilty and bloated after a Spice Bag.
So we’re bringing you this healthy Spice Bag recipe so that you can enjoy a Friday night Fakeaway guilt free! This dish is all about the spice and is surprisingly not that difficult to make. Once you make this recipe we think it will become one of your favourites. Go ahead and try and see what you think!
For the chicken and chips:
- 2-3 chicken fillets
- 3-4 medium potatoes
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
For the Spice:
- 2 tbsp chilli flakes (can be changed depending on how spicy you would like it)
- 1 tsp Chinese Five Spice or Spice Bag seasoning
- 1 tsp Garlic Salt
- ½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- Two pinches of salt
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6/200°/400°
- Get a small bowl and mix the spices together.
- For the chips, peel the potatoes if you prefer skin off. Cut the potatoes into long and thick strips. Spray with 1 calorie spray and add half of the spice mixture. Mix the spices and chips together with your hands.
- For the chicken, cut into dices. Spray with 1 calorie spray also and add the other half of the spice mixture. Mix the spices and chicken together with a spoon.
- Cut the vegetables into long strips, and combine the vegetables with the chicken and chips. Mix together well so that the vegetables also have some spice on them
- Line a tray with greaseproof paper or tinfoil, spray with 1 calorie oil. Add the mixture to the baking tray and bake in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven once cooked and enjoy!
For this recipe you will need a big bowl as the recipe requires that you mix all of the ingredients together, you will need a high quality mixing bowl for this. We also recommend having a good chopping board and knife, as well as a decent sized baking dish so that the spice bag cooks evenly. If you’re in Dublin City Centre, why not visit our Bride Street store to shop all of the equipment you need to make the perfect spice bag. Or if you would prefer to shop online, visit us at hughjordan.com.