GBBO Inspired Bakes
Want to keep up with the weekly trials in Great British Bake Off? Check out these great recipes inspired from the show and become a star baker! These drool worthy recipes are easy to whip up in the kitchen and they’re guaranteed to bring out the baker within.
Signature Bake - Brownies
This is a recipe that has been tried and tested with friends and family by every aspiring baker. It makes the perfect brownies that are soft and gooey in the middle but perfectly crispy on the top. This is a recipe you won’t want to share!
- For the brownies: 275g soft butter, 375g caster sugar, 3-4 large eggs, 75g cocoa powder, 100g self-raising flour and 100g plain or white chocolate chips.
- To finish: Dusting of icing sugar.
- Step One: You will need a roasting dish to start. Line it with baking parchment to fit the base and sides. Preheat the oven to 180C / gas mark 4.
- Step Two: Add all ingredients into a large bowl and mix until evenly blended.
- Step Three: Add the mixture to the roasting dish, making sure to spread the mixture evenly across the dish.
- Step Four: Bake for 40-45 minutes until the top is crisp. Test the centre by sticking a knife or skewer into the brownies, it should come out clean. Allow the brownies to cool and cut into 24 pieces. Once fully cooled, dust with icing sugar to finish.
Technical Challenge - Mixed Berry Meringue
Meringue nests are always a great option as a dessert at any dinner party. Their crisp but chewy texture goes perfectly is complimented perfectly with some mixed berries and cream. Here is an easy recipe that you can add your own twist to. We think you’ll love this one!
- For the meringue nests you will need 3 egg whites, half teaspoon of lemon juice and 150g of caster sugar.
- For the filling you will need 200ml crème fraiche, 200ml natural yogurt, mixed berries (amount to your liking) and icing sugar to dust.
- This recipe makes nine meringue nests.
- Step One: Preheat your oven to 110C. Add the egg whites and lemon juice to a bowl and mix (preferably with an electric mixer). Whisk until stiff peaks are formed. Continue to whisk and add the sugar, one tablespoon at a time, ensuring that each tablespoon has been mixed before adding the next. Whisk until all sugar has been added.
- Step Two: Place a non-stick silicone mat onto a baking tray. Spoon the meringue into a large piping bag and pipe concentric circles. Ensure that you pipe two or more rings on the edge of each meringue to form a nest. Bake for two hours until crisp and leave to cool once done.
- Step Three: Whisk the crème fraiche until stiff and then add the yogurt. Divide evenly between the nests. Cut up your berries if needed and place on top of the filling. Dust with icing sugar to finish.
Showstopper – Chocolate Cake
It’s your time to shine with this showstopper. Add some Maltesers or buttons for decoration, or maybe spice up the butter cream filling with some exotic flavours.
- For the sponge: 150g soft butter, 250g caster sugar, 150g self-raising flour, 125ml sour cream, 4 medium eggs, 50g cocoa powder, 1 tsp baking powder, couple drops of vanilla extract, 3-4tbsp boiling water.
- For the buttercream: 100g dark or plain chocolate, 225g icing sugar, 125g soft butter, 2 tbsp milk.
- Step One: Preheat the oven to 180C and grease two baking tins.
- Step Two: Combine the cocoa powder and boiling water. Mix until you get a smooth paste.
- Step Three: Add the sugar and flour and whisk. Beat in the eggs, one at a time and then add the butter. Add the sour cream with the baking powder and vanilla extract. Whisk until mixture is smooth.
- Step Four: Divide the cake between the tins and bake for 25-30 minutes. Once baked, leave to cool.
- Step Five: While the cakes are cooling, break the chocolate into a bowl and melt in the microwave.
- Step Six, Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and then add the butter and milk. Whisk until it is light and fluffy, and then add in the chocolate, stirring all the time.
- Step Seven: Place one side of the cake on a cake stand and spread the butter cream all over. Add the other side of the cake and repeat until the cake is fully covered.
- Step Eight: Add your own touch to make this cake a showstopper!