With summer swiftly upon us, it’s quickly turning into party season and it wouldn’t be summer without a good party platter. A Mezze Platter is a perfect Mediterranean spread that consists of Mediterranean delights such as bread, cheeses, vegetables, hummus and other tasty bites. A Mezze Platter is perfect for parties, combining small sharing plates that form the whole meal. This platter can be served as a starter too but adding more to it makes it a great sharing dish for parties. In this blog, we’ll show you how to make two great dips and two great hot bites and one salad to go along with the rest of the platter.
To start off building the perfect platter, you will need to make the hot food first. Falafel is healthy and hearty, made from ingredients such as ground chickpeas, herbs and garlic that is then fried. These tasty bites are perfect for a Mezze Platter.
These falafels are easy enough and require a food processor. Place them in a warm pitta bread with sauces, salad or hummus to make a great sandwich.
- 400g Chickpeas (canned is best)
- 1 tsp Coriander
- 1 tsp Cumin
- Chopped Garlic Cloves
- 0.5 tsp Chilli Powder
- 2 tbsp oil (sunflower or olive)
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 small onion
- Sieve the chickpeas and pat dry with kitchen towel.
- Add the chickpeas, coriander, cumin, garlic, onion, parsley, chilli powder, flour and salt and pepper.
- Blend until smooth and shape into balls.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and each of the falafels.
- Fry for roughly 3 to 4 minutes on each side until lightly brown.
Chicken kebabs are a great addition to a Mezze Platter and the chicken is also interchangeable with other meats such as lamb or beef. Load these skewers with vegetables and serve with the platter. This chicken is flavoured with lime but it can also be flavoured with lemon. The ingredients can be altered if more chicken is needed.
- 5 – 6 chicken breasts (can be altered depending on the party size)
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- Pinch of cardamon
- 3 Garlic cloves
- Juice of 2 limes or lemons
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 red onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the spices in a bowl and add a small amount of olive oil.
- Cut the chicken into cubes and coat in spice mixture and leave in bowl.
- Add the onion and garlic to the bowl with the lemon or lime juice, mix with the chicken and spices, make sure the chicken is thoroughly coated.
- Place the peppers, onion and chicken onto the wooden skewers.
- Heat the grill and grill for roughly 15 minutes. Make sure to turn the chicken a number of times so it is cooked evenly.
- Season with a pinch of salt and pepper if required.
Now that the hot ingredients are over with, it’s time to get on with the easier ingredients, the dips and salads! The number one dip in any Mezze platter is always hummus. This recipe is fairly easy and should take less than 10 minutes.
- 400g chickpeas (canned is easier)
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 2 tbsp. tahini paste
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Juice of 0.5 of a lemon
- Add ingredients to a blender or food processor until smooth, if it is too thick add small amounts of water until your get your desired thickness.
- Place in a small dish that will go onto the platter.
Baba Ganoush is a nice dip to have on a Mezze Platter, its reach and creamy taste complement anything that is dipped into it. Put it in a sandwich to add a great taste.
- 2-3 eggplants depending on how much you want to make
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. tahini
- Pepper to taste
- Grill the eggplants for about 15 minutes until soft, cut and remove the flesh.
- Combine the eggplant, garlic lemon, tahini and olive oil together and mix thoroughly.
- Add to a small dish and season with pepper.
Tabbouleh is a great salad to have with a Mezze a platter because it is light and fresh. Tabbouleh is great by itself or in a pita sandwich which some hummus and falafels. It’s also fairly easy to make!
- 50-100g of Bulgur Wheat (depending on the size of the salad)
- 4 tomatoes
- 50g chopped parsley
- 50g chopped mint
- 4 onions
- Juice of half a lime
- 3 tbsp. Olive Oil
- Wash the bulgur wheat and soak in water for 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Finely chop the onions, parsley, mint and cucumber and dice the tomatoes.
- Combine this with the bulgur, lime juice and olive oil and mix well.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for 20-30 minutes for best results.
- Add to a dish or salad bowl that can be served with the platter.
Once all of the above foods are made, it’s time to choose which vegetables you would like on your platter. The most popular for a Mezze platter would be carrot sticks, red, yellow and green peppers cut into strips, chopped cucumbers, cherry tomatoes and olives. Add cheeses such as halloumi and feta and bread such as pita bread (grill for best results) and lavash bread. Add all of this together with the above foods and you have the perfect Mezze Platter for a summer party. Combine this platter with a summer cocktail menu for the perfect party.
You can find everything you need and more to make the perfect summer cocktail on our website at www.hughjordan.com or if you would prefer to shop in person, visit us in town at 1 Chancery Court, Bride Street, Dublin 8. Need directions? Check the map here!